Hi all! Our nominating committee of one, Randy W5WXY, has recruited an excellent officer slate for next year! The current officers enthusiastically approve the following nominees:
President: Dave K5YR
Vice-President: Ron N5SQA
Secretary: Dave KG5VSR
Treasurer: Randy W5WXY
We’ll hold our 4th quarter club meeting virtually Wednesday November 16, 2022 at 7 PM using jit.si. We will open the floor for other nominations, and vote on these offices. The new officers take over January 1. Then we’ll have our usual fun roundtable meeting…
Thanks so much to our volunteers and to Randy for his work on this.
The club will hold its quarterly meeting Wednesday August 11 at 7 PM via Google Meet. Members will receive the invite URL via groups.io.
After a very short business meeting, we will introduce our guest speaker.
Have you heard of FlightAware? One of our club members provides real-time data to this aviation tracking service. Gary, AF5XZ will tell us all about it.
There will be a brief check-in on 147.52 MHz for those that can’t join in on Google Meet.
The club will hold its quarterly meeting Wednesday June 9 at 7 PM. The online meeting will be hosted on Google Meet; a link will be sent to all members via groups.io.
Our guest speaker will be Steve Lott, KG5VK, the ARRL North Texas Section Manager. Steve will give us an update on progress the League is making since the installation of David Minster, NA5AA, as CEO earlier this year.
Our on the air nets continue each Wednesday at 7 PM on “White Rock Simplex,” 147.52 MHz. Net control duties rotate among seven members from various Lake area neighborhoods, assuring that even a ham with just a handie-talkie will be able to check in and participate. Check in is also available via EchoLink; connect to WA5WRL-L from the app.
Our next quarterly club meeting will be held Wednesday June 9 at 7 PM. The meeting will be again be virtual, using Google Meet. Members will receive an invitation via groups.io.
The club will hold its quarterly virtual meeting Wednesday Feb 10 at 7 PM using Google Meets. All members will receive an invite code via an email from groups.io.
– Join us for our weekly simplex net on 147.52 MHz this Wednesday January 27 at 8 PM.
– Welcome to our newest member, Gary, AF5XZ. This expands our roster to 34 members in 16 lake area and east Dallas neighborhoods.
– Our next quarterly virtual club meeting will be Wednesday February 10 at 8 PM. We will again use Google Meet, an easy web based conferencing tool.
– All ARRL members are invited to attend a virtual ARRL North Texas Town Hall meeting via Zoom Tuesday Jan 26 at 8 PM. Here’s info on the meeting.
– Finally, Winter Field Day is this weekend, January 30-31. While we can’t host club activities yet due to COVID restrictions, it’s still a great time to test out your go-bag radio and antenna in the backyard.
The club will hold its quarterly meeting this Wednesday Dec 2 at 7 PM. Since Dallas County COVID restrictions are still in force, the club will instead meet virtually using Google Meet. Each club member will receive an invite via groups.io.
There will be a quick check-in on 147.52 MHz simplex for those folks that can’t make the meeting, and for any non members wishing to check in.
This month marks the one year anniversary of our group. Last September, we held our first informal lunch at Verona’s Restaurant on Garland Road, with six hams in attendance. We now have twenty nine folks representing twelve lake area neighborhoods on our roster!
So, it is fitting that we hold our first virtual quarterly business meeting this month. After a short check in on 147.54 MHz simplex at 7 PM, we will commence our meeting via Google Meet. Members will receive a copy of the agenda and a Google Meet invitation via an email from our groups.io system.
– It’s great to see our simplex nets in “off” weeks (2nd, 4th and occasionally 5th Wed) are well attended. We had 10 member check-ins last week. After the net, several of us switched to the digital mode C4FM (Yaesu Fusion) and were able to intercommunicate. We also had a Garland station join us. For fun, we’ll try that again at the close of our next net on March 11. If you have a Yaesu radio capable of the C4FM mode, have it ready! In the future, we could try this with the other popular digital modes DMR and DStar.
– The club submitted the log for our Winter Field Day afternoon operation. In total, we contacted 47 stations and used six different bands.
– This month on third Wednesday, March 18, we’ll hold our quarterly club meeting so there will not be a dinner. Instead, meet at the White Rock United Methodist Church, Room 204 at 7 PM. We will have a couple of presentations and maybe a door prize or two.
– Our first Wednesday lunch is on for tomorrow, March 4 at 11:30 AM at Verona’s. Hope to see you then.
– This week, we will host an informal dinner Wednesday Feb 19 at 7 PM at Verona’s Restaurant. You can see our informal agenda on our events page. Join us!
– We now have a 16 x 46 inch blue vinyl banner with the club callsign, name and our website address; it will be great for display at our next public activity. The source is www.hamcrazy.com, which has quite a few interesting items for hams.
– The ARRL has provided us with 100 copies of a color one page flyer, “What is Ham Radio?”, with space on the back for our club info.
– We have registered our club call as an Internet domain, so you can now access this website from wa5wrl.org in addition to whiterockhams.org.
– The second podcast from the ARRL On the Air program is out. Listen in at http://www.arrl.org/on-the-air-podcast